Tip 1: Dissolve the salt in the hot water.
Tip 2: Grind the salt! By grinding the salt down into a powder you will get lovely smooth playdough that looks like the shop bought one.
Tip 3: Homemade playdough is way cheaper than store bought and you won't cry when the kids mix up the colours.
Tip 4: Shake it up - add some food colouring, add some essential oils*, add some glitter. I like to add the essential oils and glitter when I'm kneading it at the end.
Tip 5: Make inside dirt aka brown playdough. I like to add leftover coffee grinds to give it that dirt texture. You could also add some Vetiver** to make it smell like the right thing. Add some plastic dinosaurs, cars, twigs etc. Hours of fun and cleaner than playing with real dirt.
** You can purchase Vetiver and other essential oils through DoTerra. Vetiver has a calming, grounding effect on emotions and some immune-enhancing properties. I personally adore the earthy smell.
Here are the two recipes I use.
Christine’s no-cook Playdough
(the recipe I use at work)
2 cups plain flour
4 tbsp cream of tartar
1 cup salt
2 cups water
2 tbs cooking oil
1. Boil water and place in a heatproof jug/bowl. Add salt and stir to dissolve. Allow to cool off a little.
2. Add all ingredients into the bowl, mix together to combine.
3. Turn out onto a floured work surface and knead to form playdough.
(based on FatMumSlim's recipe)
1 ½ cup boiling water
100g cooking salt
1 tbsp cream of tartar
2 1/3 cups plain flour
1 tbs vegetable oil
Food colouring of your choice
- Place salt in Thermomix bowl and blitz on Speed 9 for 3 seconds.
- Add cream of tartar, then add water and food colouring. Heat for 3 minutes at 60 degrees on Speed 3.
- Add flour and mix for 20-40 seconds on Speed 3.
- Add vegetable oil and knead on and off to combines oil into the mix.
- Turn dough onto the bench, allow to cool. If the dough is a little sticky, place flour onto surface and knead.*
Suggested colours and essential oils
Yellow – Lemon
Purple/Blue – Lavender/Serenity
Brown – Vetiver
Orange – Citrus Bliss/Wild Orange
Pink – Grapefruit