Sunday, July 13, 2014

Safety First

This post was originally posted on my Facebook page in response to Kidspot's 'Beware of the baby headband!' article.

In my day job and in my handmade business I take choking hazards very seriously. A few years back I did a Kidsafe Australia course and it brought home the real danger children face with strangulation and choking. That is why I no longer add ear flaps to my baby size beanies and I firmly affix any embellishments to my beanies. 

Yes the ear flaps look really cute but they also pose a
strangulation risk, one I'm not prepared to take anymore.
Ear flaps keep the head warm and they are cute too.  

We all know babies put lots of things in their mouths so be extra vigilant about items that you put on your child's head (beanies, hairclips, headbands), things you place around their necks (amber necklaces, dress up necklaces), on their clothing (dummy clips with bling) and in their mouths (dummies, bottles).

For more information go to your states Kidsafe website or Product Safety Australia

No comments: