Sunday, June 15, 2014

Latest Project - Citrus Stripe Blanket


This is what I've been working on this week.  Its a lovely receiving blanket called 'Citrus Stripe Blanket'.  It was designed by Felted Button (aka Susan Carlson) and its a free pattern on Craftsy.com.

Its a very easy pattern to read and crochet.  I've made my a few changes, as all crocheters do. I'm using up some 4 ply wool that has been hanging for ages and I know its against the rules but I'm using a 4.5 mm hook.  

The only criticism of the pattern is Row 6 where the V-stitch (dc, ch 1, dc) is created in the ch-5 loop (5 ch space).  I wasn't happy with the look of the V-stitch but didn't know how to fix it.

I could work in the 3rd ch of the ch-5 loop in the but I wasn't happy with that look either.

In the latest edition of
Interweave Crochet magazine (page 30) Vickie Howell's article about Extended Stitches got me thinking.  Yes I know Extended Stitches are a used for lacy looks but I thought an extended tr stitch (etr), an edc in US terminology, could be used to make the base of the V-stitch tighter around the ch-5 loop, there by making the V-stitch neater.  

So far my theory is going well, the base of the V-stitch appears neater but that could just be me wishing that to be so.  

I'll keep you posted on my progress with this new stitch.  

Christine

No comments: