Sunday, October 07, 2012

Part 3: Restoring damaged crochet tablecloth


To be honest I hate this part!  It seems so unnatural to me to cut crochet, it makes me sick to the stomach.  One wrong cut and I could ruin this beautiful tablecloth. 

I decided to start with the easy side, that is the side were the final round is affixed to the adjoining motif with a double crochet into the other motifs chain stitches.

Then I painstakingly cut the next side, this is a bit tricky as I need to cut the damage motif so I can pull the chain stitches through the stitches on the adjoining motif. The issue here is that the stitches from the adjoining motif can now easily come apart and unravel, if this happens I will need to replace that motif as well.   

Luckily for me my slow methodical work resulted in none of these exposed stitches unravelling.  I cut the cut the rest of damaged motif out and I will uses these two tiny stitches when I affix the new motif.  


Like the side stitches, I carefully cut the material so I could slip the corner chain stitches through these 3 corners.  When I join the corner of my new motif, I will inset my hook through all 3 corners and will slip stitch them and the new motif together. 


Above are the other two cut out sections - the change in tablecloth colour is due to these pictures being taken a few hours apart. Due to the dame of the 3rd motif I had to remove and recreate two motifs. 

Note:  I used a .75mm hook to help me to remove the little pieces of cut cotton that remained on the remaining motifs.  I thought this would be pretty easy but some bits of cotton were firmly affixed to the other motifs.

Christine


No comments: