Sunday, May 08, 2011

Quirky Designs for Kids: Seven Questions in Seven Minutes




Name: Nat
Company: Quirky Designs For Kids
Website: http://www.madeit.com.au/quirkykids
(brand new one under construction yay)
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/quirkykids




1. What is your favourite Colour?
I work with so many colours it changes from day to day - depending on what is working and what is not on the day. At the moment though I would have to say purple is taking the lead. (I could go on and on about which colours don't like me :p)

2. What is your favourite font?
Tough one, I am slightly obsessed with fonts, nature of my business I really have to be, but I currently have over 500 fonts in word alone - whoops! I could browse fonts for hours, I think it is becoming a problem. Though I am really liking Firefly, and it is soon to become my next purchase.

3. Who would you like to be stuck next to on a long haul plane trip?
Anyone other then my husband (just don't tell him), he could talk under wet cement, so I would really like someone who doesn't say a word so I could finally enjoy some peace and quite, the kind you don't get with two pre-schooler's in tow.

4. Who taught you the basics of your craft?
I should really say my design and technology teacher, for introducing me to a saw. Though my great grandparents used to create gorgeous works out of wood, so it may just be in the genes. (I would love to learn how to do the work they did though)

5. What is your favourite item in your range? Why?

At the moment would have to be my Lily Script names, quick, easy to cut and don't give me to much trouble. Though I am also liking doing other business' mascots, I am liking seeing them come to life after I have cut and painted.

6. What is your best seller?
At the moment would have to be my market display names, as they are unique and can be matched to the business. Also testing my skills in doing new fonts and designs.  Examples of more business names can be seen here.

7. If there was an academy award for handmade and you won it, to whom would you thank?
Definitely my mum, she comes to every markets with me, does the majority of the hand sewing. And also comes over once a week to entertain my girls and do some much needed washing for me.

+  +  +  +  +  +  +  +

I met Nat and her at Billycart Markets mid last year when we had a laugh and a giggle along with Elke from Calamity Bolt.  I was impressed with the fact that she hand saws everything herself.  I think she would give the old guys at the Sanctuary Point Men's shed a run for their money.

In recent times the creative and original Nat has etched out a new niche where she has started creating market signs using established brands logos/artwork. Currently she is helping me to create a dream of mine, which is turning my lamb Barnie into a prop for my next market.  I can't wait to show him off!!

Unique, professional and funny, I would recommend Nat to anyone!   

No comments: