Monday, March 28, 2011

People who Inspire: My student Sue

My past 'People who Inspire' series has focused on blogs that have inspired me, but this month I'm writing about a person.
In the second week of my 'How to make a Beanie' class at SewGood, KnitToo! one of my students, Sue, brought in a beautiful unfinished blanket she was making.  She has been making these blankets since she was a girl, they are made using a daisy loom and crochet stitches.

Isn't it amazing.  Isn't it inspiring.

I fell in love with it there and then as I haven't seen anything like this before.
Sue's technique is fantastic, so is her tension.  All she needed to learn was how to read a pattern, which is probably the hardest thing about crochet.

Vintage Pattern (c1931) found at Knitting-and.com
 I did some searching on the internet and I came across knitting-and.com who have a great section on their website devoted to Small Looms and Flower Looms. They have vintage patterns that you can download and other useful information.  Looms can be purchased at Spotlight and other specialty wool/Haberdashery stores.  I'm going to borrow my Mum's one, which I suspect was originally my Grandma's, and in my spare time (I don't know when that will be) I'm going to make my own blanket using one of the vintage patterns I downloaded..

*  *  *  *  *  * 
I teach Crochet  at SewGood, KnitToo, Shop 4, 200 Kerry Street, Sanctuary Point  NSW.  My next class is on Tuesday 29th March which is a repeat of my 'Learn to make a beanie' class.  

My 'How to make a Scarf' will be repeated on Saturday 2nd April from 10am to 12pm.

On Tuesday 24th and 31st May I will be running a 'How to make easy crochet flowers' class.

Booking essential.  Call Alison at SewGood, KnitToo 02 4443 2228.

A small selection of my wares are also available to purchase in the store.

No comments: