Thursday, February 03, 2011

W is for Winkipedia

ALPHABET FLURO GREEN tint acrylic necklace by Sculley Design
I was reading Wikipedia's article on Crochet today (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crochet) and I started to think about my family history.

Even though I'm a 5th generation Australian, my family's ties to Ireland are still there - my maiden name is McInerney and I have red hair.  My ancestors came to Australia during the Potato Famine that hit Ireland in the late 1840s.  During this time Crochet became very popular in Ireland, many women and children made beautiful crochet lace which was shipped all over Europe and America.

I remember my Nanna telling me about how her Granny making her a special dress for St Patrick's day Mass when she was  a little girl.  The dress was white and green and had shamrock ribbon on it.   I realised this morning that this Granny would of been a first generation Australian, her parents would of been Irish and that the skills my Mother passed on to me would of originated from these Irish ancestors. 

How cool is that!

No comments: