Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Family, lack of sleep and only one Coffee

An in-law made the following comment about my products in an email to me this morning
"overpriced toddlers wear probably brought from Target and re-labeled"
WTF!  Are you kidding me!

This was my email response
All items made by C Percy Designs are made by hand by me using quality (aka expensive) Australian grown and spun Wool and Cotton.  My pricing is based on the skill, materials used and the time it takes to make - for example it takes 20+ hours to make a baby blanket and it takes an average of 3-4 hours to make a beanie. 

How would you like to be paid $28 for 4 hours work! 

Not overpriced, under-priced!  My items are unique in their design, colour choice and more importantly quality of workmanship - my products are NOT cheap and nasty mass produced Chinese knock offs that you will have to throw away in 6 months time.

Okay maybe I shouldn't of sent this but after approx 4 hours sleep, looking after a sick 1 year old, dealing with Mr 6 who is a complete nightmare and only having one coffee so far this morning, this email gave me the sh*ts!

It was only the other day that Teresa, the talented and inspiring person behind Art of Crochet, blogged about Appreciating Hand Made Crochet - Crochet Pricing Recommendations. This email just proves her point!

6 comments:

bec said...

i cant believe how far off the mark this 'in-law' is! your stuff is gorgeous, and sooo beautifully made, i always, always get comments on roys beanies. and your definately NOT overpriced! having said that, my own mother often tells me how overpriced my items are and how 'anyone would be mad to spend their money on stuff made from second hand materials' so i feel your frustration!

~~**sKySiE**~~ said...

bleh, dont you just love "out-laws"! Handmade things are always thought of as expensive, when compared to machine made, mass produced items.

I had a "lovely" lady at a market tell me i can buy cheaper cards from the reject shop!

I agree with Bec, your products are far from over priced, and are gorgeous!

robyn lee said...

I am flabbergasted! Sounds like this 'In-law' is a little jealous of your talent...what a cheek!
Un-flipping-believable. Your items are definately NOT overpriced...my blood is boiling, I can only imagine how you must be feeling.
Keep hooking clever lady and don't worry about such small minded comments..that is my bit!
Robyn Lee x

Selina said...

I think this is the first time i have popped by your blog, but I just had to comment on this. I went and checked your etsy and made it shops for your prices and just had to say....what are they thinking??! Your items are so cute and well underpriced I would say. Isn't it a shame though that we feel we have to justify our pricing to people like this that clearly have no idea. Keep your head held high and DO NOT make your items any cheaper!

ParentRooms.com.au said...

re-labelled target gear?? what a tosser!!! the in-law (or 'out-laws' as skysie said) sounds v jealous of your talent and business-mindedness.
The masses are lazy, and will criticise rather than get off their own butts and do something productive with life.
You are a talented woman with a high quality product - never apologise for your work or the prices you charge.

C Percy Designs said...

Thanks for all the kind worlds ladies! You really helped boost my spirits!